Dynamism, technology and attention to our production processes, our customer’s needs and market evolutions are, in a nutshell, our company.
Boasting an impressive history that goes back to the Fifties, today we are a reference brand name in the field of sliding systems for architectural doors and furniture, distinguished by an excellent quality/ price ratio.
Terno Scorrevoli is celebrating its 60th anniversary!
60 years of research and development that have seen Terno Scorrevoli stand out from the rest of the market in terms of ongoing innovations, realizing technologically advanced, patented systems for furniture and architectural sliding doors.
This is why Terno Scorrevoli can offer a large selection of sliding systems, satisfying in full every possible customer.
All the products, available in over 50 countries throughout the 5 continents.
Terno Scorrevoli decided to expand its space: new headquarter
In 1999, in light of the company’s great success, both in Italy and abroad, and with orders continuing to rise, Terno Scorrevoli decided to expand its space and purchase new machinery and equipment, as well as enlarge its warehouse of semi-finished aluminum panel parts and accessories, doubling the space at its disposal, both roofed over and exposed.
With the new millennium, Terno Scorrevoli reinforce the administrative office, by Inserting the Terno’s daughters , Rossana and Valentina.
In the following years, Terno Scorrevoli continued to grow, to follow with steadily increasing market demand, and again moving to a larger headquarters in 2003, leaving Limbiate for Varedo.
After just 3 years, in 2006, the new Varedo facility was expanded, reaching a total surface area of 8,500 m2 and thus providing the necessary space for the various production sectors: punching, aluminum processing, assembly, packing, warehousing, etc..
Awards for technological innovation
In the early ’90s, the company’s name was changed to Terno Scorrevoli, and in 1993, in response to rapid growth and a strong demand for the articles it produced, it moved to a new headquarters, more in line with the new production levels, in Limbiate (MI), where it continued to increase its production and sales, both in Italy and abroad.
In 1994, the Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Craft, after having evaluated a large number of companies that had submitted a detailed report of their operations, enclosing all the relative documentation on patents, awarded several gold medals, one of them to Officine Terno s.n.c. di Terno Agostino. The medal was presented at an award ceremony held at the Teatro alla Scala, in Milan, with the well known maestro, Riccardo Muti, conducting a concert and also collecting a gold medal.
In 1997 the company registered an international patent for an Item related to aluminum panels for futniture, which can be assembled easily without any additional workmanship.
In 1998 Terno Scorrevoli received an award from the Lombardy Region for technological innovation, based on this patented system.
The foreign experience
In the first years of the next decade, production of several specialized hardware articles was halted, as they had become nearly obsolete, and the company concentrated on sliding systems for furniture and doors.
In those years, Giovanni Terno’s wife, Villa Maria Adele, also joined the company, managing the administration and accounting office.
In the second half of the eighties, the national sales network was set up, with agents in each region.
An Italian patent was obtained for an adjustable sliding door mechanism for wardrobes, which was used in several ways by a number of other companies and soon became the best selling article in the sector.
The system was immediately presented when the company participated in its first international trade fair, the 1988 SASMIL, in Milan, a decision based on the Increased number of orders for sliding mechanisms for furniture and doors and which led to the establishment of significant new business relationships with prominent foreign companies.
It is in these years that the Omodei Export Department increased up its cooperation with the company, assisting in the management of foreign customers.
May 1, 1968, is the date of the founding of the new company, called Officine Terno, which from that date onward has concentrated on the sector of sliding mechanisms for display windows, wheeled bar counters and damping hinges. The company start designing and purchasing equipments for the production of pneumatic staplers for upholsters and carpenters plus various other articles of hardware.
In 1971 Mr. Terno’s two sons, Giovanni and Francesco, both entered the company and during that same decade exporting began, with success, to several countries in Europe and overseas. In the same period, the R&D division was formed, for the in-house design and development of new products. In 1979, the company exhibited at its first regional trade fair, with encouraging results.
The double differential wheel
In 1956, Terno Agostino designed a new type of wheel, which he called the double differential wheel and which delivered a radically different performance. This special double wheel made it possible to move whatever it was supporting in any direction while reducing friction against the floor surface to a minimum. The project was registered as an industrial patent on September 11, 1956, and ranks as a true technological innovation, with the production of large numbers of similar wheels beginning only in the late ‘60s, after many years of producing the old, single wheel models.
In the decade from 1958 to 1968, production was expanded to include sliding track items, wheels for furniture and brass wheeled food tables with glass shelves, as well as consolidating business relations with important customers in the wholesale distribution of hardware and also in the furniture industry. Steadily growing production made it necessary to expand the company in 1960, and a second machine shop was built next to the original one. After eighteen years of close collaboration, however, the two partners, Terno Agostino and Dedè Giuseppe, wanted to take the company In different directions, in terms of production and future objectives, so they agreed to split and to follow different ways.
Terno&Dedè is born
The story of Terno Scorrevoli start just a few years after the end of World War II, when the uncertain economic situation forced two undertaken young men to go into business by themselves.
Thus, in 1950, Terno Agostino and Dedè Giuseppe, the founding partners, formed Terno&Dedè. From 1950 to 1954 the company produced clips for radio console panels, damped hinges and sliding mechanisms for furniture and for shop display cases.
In 1954 the company took its first important step forward, taking advantage of an opportunity to expand its production. The appearance and rapid spread of television created a need for new objects, such as pivoting wheels for tables designed to hold TVs.
This is an example of how, since its starting, the company has monitored changes in the market and responded with targeted Research &Develop projects.